Read chapter in full: biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=Matthew+008
MATTHEW 8 (ESV)
1 When he came down from the mountain, great crowds followed him. 2 And behold, a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.” 3 And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, “I will; be clean.” And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4 And Jesus said to him, “See that you say nothing to anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a proof to them.”
5 When he had entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to him, appealing to him, 6 “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly.” 7 And he said to him, “I will come and heal him.” 8 But the centurion replied, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 10 When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith. 11 I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, 12 while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 13 And to the centurion Jesus said, “Go; let it be done for you as you have believed.” And the servant was healed at that very moment.
14 And when Jesus entered Peter’s house, he saw his mother-in-law lying sick with a fever. 15 He touched her hand, and the fever left her, and she rose and began to serve him. 16 That evening they brought to him many who were oppressed by demons, and he cast out the spirits with a word and healed all who were sick. 17 This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah: “He took our illnesses and bore our diseases.”
- Jesus displays a royal power over all forces in natural and supernatural worlds. King Jesus is willing and able to heal all kinds of illness and suffering.
- The Leper realizes that Jesus has the power as God to heal sicknesses and to correct evils that torment mankind. But the leper also realizes that Jesus has a choice about whether to heal or not. Again and again Jesus exercised His power as God, and each time it was to help or heal a human being in need. Christ is willing. And He is able too.
- Recall a time when you were touched by the loving hand of God. What was it? How did you feel?
- What did your past experience of God’s touch and healing teach you about God’s power and His love? Spend a few moments conversing with God and listening to what God is trying to tell you.
- “He’s Able to carry me through” www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whgmpd2WFR0
Loving Father, You are the God of mercy, of healing, and of salvation. You came to the world to see the sufferings of the world, You healed people’s bodies, You also saved their souls, and saved the world from the bondage of sin. Lord, please increase my faith and let me look up and pray without ceasing in my daily life. Let me move forward firmly in the storm of life. Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, press on toward the goal. Amen!
Healer – youtu.be/L3Z2JshTkIs