Read chapter in full: www.biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=2Kings+022
2 Kings Chapter 22 (ESV)
11 When the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, he tore his clothes. 12 And the king commanded Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Achbor the son of Micaiah, and Shaphan the secretary, and Asaiah the king's servant, saying, 13 “Go, inquire of the Lord for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that has been found. For great is the wrath of the Lord that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not obeyed the words of this book, to do according to all that is written concerning us.”
14 So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asaiah went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe (now she lived in Jerusalem in the Second Quarter), and they talked with her. 15 And she said to them, “Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: ‘Tell the man who sent you to me, 16 Thus says the Lord, Behold, I will bring disaster upon this place and upon its inhabitants, all the words of the book that the king of Judah has read. 17 Because they have forsaken me and have made offerings to other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with all the work of their hands, therefore my wrath will be kindled against this place, and it will not be quenched.
- If time allows, real the whole chapter once to appreciate Josiah’s zeal for renewal.
- Josiah has been repairing God’s temple and restoring worship in Jerusalem prior to rediscovering the Book of the Law.
- He wanted to have the “newly-discovered book” read to him yet again. This time God’s word inspired him and created a strong conviction to investigate God’s will further which led to the massive spiritual reform in Chapter 23.
- When I do my devotion or attend Sunday Worship or anytime I hear God’s word being spoken, do I expect that God will meet me there and speak to me even through familiar passages and speakers?
- When is the last time God spoke to me through reading or listening to his word? When? What was spoken? Where was the passage?
Sing or read this hymn as my petition to God.
Open my ears that I may hear voices of truth thou sendest clear,
And while the wave notes fall on my ear, everything false will disappear.
Silently now I wait for thee, ready, my God, thy will to see;
Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine!
“Ancient Words” - www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vmTkXNpwzs