25 在耶路撒冷有一個人，名叫西面；這人又公義又虔誠，素常盼望以色列的安慰者來到，又有聖靈在他身上。 26 他得了聖靈的啟示，知道自己未死以前，必看見主所立的基督。 27 他受了聖靈的感動，進入聖殿，正遇見耶穌的父母抱著孩子進來，要照律法的規矩辦理。 28 西面就用手接過他來，稱頌 神說： 29 主啊！如今可以照你的話，釋放僕人安然去世； 30 因為我的眼睛已經看見你的救恩─ 31 就是你在萬民面前所預備的： 32 是照亮外邦人的光，又是你民以色列的榮耀。 33 孩子的父母因這論耶穌的話就希奇。 34-35 西面給他們祝福，又對孩子的母親馬利亞說：「這孩子被立，是要叫以色列中許多人跌倒，許多人興起；又要作毀謗的話柄，叫許多人心裏的意念顯露出來；你自己的心也要被刀刺透。」
- 西面的一生 “又公義又虔誠，素常盼望以色列的安慰者（彌賽亞救主）來到，又有聖靈在他身上”（25節）。現在他手中所懷抱的正是他一生所期盼等候的焦點。西面抱過孩子來祝福他，又祝福他的父母，然後宣稱，現在他可以安然離世了。
- 重讀並默想馬利亞和西面的禱告（1：46-55，及2：29-32），專注“照你的話” （1:38和2:29）；靜默聆聽神的說話，我怎樣用“照你的話”向主禱告？
25Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. 27Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, 28Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying: 29“Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace.
30For my eyes have seen your salvation, 31which you have prepared in the sight of all people, 32a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.” 33The child’s father and mother marvelled at what was said about him. 34Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: “This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”
- Simeon’s prayer is a prayer of completion. He spent a long life of hopeful prayer and faithful witness. What he has been praying for all his life is now present in this infant. He takes the child in his arms and blesses him, and the parents. Simeon holds the purpose and meaning of his life in his arms. He’s now ready to die.
- The prayers of Mary and Simeon are complementary to each other: the young Mary starting out in submission to God’s word; the old Simeon ending in submission to God’s word. Mary and Simeon submissively and believingly spoke the prayer: “according to your word”(1:38, 2:29).
- Re-read the two prayers by Mary and Simeon (1:38, 2:29). Focus on the words “according to your word”. Listen to what God is speaking to me. How could I use this phrase “according to your word” in my response prayer today?
vv8-20,Jesus was born and placed in a manger, a feeding trough containing hay and other food for animals to eat. Take the family to a farm (or a nativity scene). Imagine what it was like that starry night so long ago when Jesus was born. Ask each family member to share what they imagined.