1 無知的加拉太人哪，耶穌基督釘十字架，已經活畫在你們眼前，誰又迷惑了你們呢？ 2 我只要問你們這一件：你們受了聖靈，是因行律法呢？是因聽信福音呢？ 3 你們既靠聖靈入門，如今還靠肉身成全嗎？你們是這樣的無知嗎？ 4 你們受苦如此之多，都是徒然的嗎？難道果真是徒然的嗎？ 5 那賜給你們聖靈，又在你們中間行異能的，是因你們行律法呢？是因你們聽信福音呢？ 6 正如亞伯拉罕信 神，這就算為他的義。 7 所以，你們要知道：那以信為本的人，就是亞伯拉罕的子孫。 8 並且聖經既然預先看明， 神要叫外邦人因信稱義，就早已傳福音給亞伯拉罕，說：萬國都必因你得福。 9 可見那以信為本的人和有信心的亞伯拉罕一同得福。 10 凡以行律法為本的，都是被咒詛的；因為經上記著：凡不常照律法書上所記一切之事去行的，就被咒詛。 11 沒有一個人靠著律法在 神面前稱義，這是明顯的；因為經上說，義人必因信得生。 12 律法原不本乎信，只說：行這些事的，就必因此活著。 13 基督既為我們受（原文是成）了咒詛，就贖出我們脫離律法的咒詛；因為經上記著：凡掛在木頭上都是被咒詛的。 14 這便叫亞伯拉罕的福，因基督耶穌可以臨到外邦人，使我們因信得著所應許的聖靈。
- 加拉太人知道他們在信主時便領受了聖靈，並非是因遵守律法而得。但是他們仍然對自己的信仰不放心，認為單靠信心似乎太輕而易舉了，因此希望遵守某 些律法規條，好與神更加親近。某些屬靈操練（如讀經、祈禱）和事奉，可以幫助我們成長，但是絕不能代替聖靈的工作。保羅的尖銳問題（1-4節），就是希望能引導加拉太信徒重建“只有基督才是我們信仰的中心”。
Galatians 3: 1-14
1. You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3. Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? 4. Have you suffered so much for nothing—if it really was for nothing? 5. Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard? 6. Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." 7. Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. 8. The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." 9. So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith. 10. All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." 11. Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith." 12. The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them." 13. Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." 14. He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
- The Galatians had been taught that they had received the Holy Spirit by faith and not by obeying the law. However, they still thought it was too simplistic to be saved by faith only. They wanted to have some rules and creeds to follow in order to feel closer to God. Spiritual exercises such as prayer and Bible ready as well as serving may help us grow spiritually but it can never replace the work of the Holy Spirit. By raising some pointed questions (vv1-4), Paul tried to help them to restore Christ as the center of their faith.
- Do I think it not realistic to depend on faith alone for salvation? Would I think that perhaps a bit more work on my part may bring more assurance?
- Pray that God would teach me to allow Him to be in control and for a “simple” but not “simplistic” faith in Him.
Prayer & Journaling:
Stay with God for a little longer. Continue to converse with God and listen to what he wants to tell me. Then write down any thought and/or prayer in the 2011 “Spiritual Journal” book.
Family Time (Begin this time by reading the passage above using a children’s Bible.)
Salvation for Children: A young child can understand being sorry for harming others (repentance); the need for forgiveness that cannot be earned by trying to be good (grace); trusting God to rescue them rather than relying on themselves (faith); and living life in that trust through actions that express love for God and for people (Christian ethics).
Parents, use the above to AFFIRM your child’s salvation and to encourage Christian living.